Today I made some headway on the things I started on Day 1 (the wardrobe reduction) and Day 2 (the doggy sofa).
With my t-shirts and hoodies done, I moved onto my loungewear. This, I am told, is the fancy term for “drawer full of sweatpants and athletic shorts”. If you read the Day 1 post, then you know I have a bit of a problem with holding on to grubby stuff. The problem was twice as bad when it came to my sweats and shorts. Using essentially the same set of rules, I virtually emptied the drawer in just a minute or two.
Since I had already undertaken the project of throwing away partnerless socks, sad undies, and bras whose unwires succumbed to the mighty bulk of my breasts a few weeks ago, the dresser was complete!
I was time to tackle THE CLOSET.
I really wanted to post a “before” picture of my closet. I really, really did. But I could not. Because it was THAT embarrassing. I will paint a mental picture for you though. The floor of the closet is covered by two duffle bags and some old boots. The duffles are stuffed with clothing, though I honestly have no clue what’s in there. There is a shelf in the top of the closet where I store my luggage and all of my pants. The pants are “folded” and look something like a cresting wave, frozen in time right before it crashes. When I open the door, I gently push the pile back so stave off the avalanche for one more day. Hanging on the left side are two of those hanging canvas shoe racks. These appear to be full of shoes, though I do not really remember the last time I put shoes in or took shoes out of these devices. Finally, my clothes are tightly packed into the remaining space. I mean TIGHTLY. As in, there are several garments that have come off of their hangers, but haven’t made any progress toward the floor.
I decided to tackle the pants and the hanging clothing today and leave the duffle bags and shoes for tomorrow. To be honest, this wasn’t nearly as hard as I thought it would be and I even think I’ve found some things I can sell. My wife, who has a side-business selling vintage clothing, tells me that 20 years old is the cut off for “vintage.” I will just fess up and say that there are some vintage items I removed from my closest that were not vintage when they went in.
After wrapping up the wardrobe work for the day, I got back to working on the doggy couch. I was sure that I had some leftover cans of spray paint in some basic colors–maybe white or black or gray. I did have leftover spray paint, but the only options were chalkboard, metallic copper, hammered metal copper, and a brushed metallic color called “champagne nouveau”. Yeah…I don’t know what happened there either. I grabbed two colors that I thought might work, but ended up going with the copper.
The sofa required a little bit of taping and masking. Didn’t take too long. I dragged it out to the front yard and hit it with a coat of paint.
With the copper done, I turned my attention to white accents. I grabbed a big tube of white project paint and way too small of a brush and started on the back of the sofa and the trim long the tops of the arms and the front edges. This will definitely take some more time to finish, but things are getting close. Tomorrow, I’ll finish the painting, make the monster some blankets and cushions, and post some photos!
LAST: 50 Days Happier: Day 2 – Reuse it Already! >>
NEXT: 50 Days Happier: Day 4 – Wardrobe Accomplished >>